While the Roosters and Knights are already exploring a swap deal involving winger Dom Young, another team could potentially enter the mix to secure his services this season.
The Daily Telegraph reports that defending premiers Penrith have been linked to Young as the club looks to fill the void left by Taylan May, who has been ruled out for the rest of the year.
May tore his ACL in a tackle during the World Club Challenge on Saturday night and the Panthers are said to be looking for six-figure salary cap dispensation as a result.
Watch the new look NRL Pre-Season exclusive to Fox League available on Kayo Sports. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
Penrith does have plenty of internal options to face May, headlined by Fijian rising star Sunia Turuva as well as promising young prospects Tom Jenkins and Jesse McLean.
But The Telegraph reports player agents have still got in contact with the Panthers sounding out if they would be interested in sourcing a replacement externally.
Young’s name was reportedly brought up, although Penrith chief executive Matt Cameron refuted those claims when contacted by local paper The Western Weekender.
Penrith could have the money to make the move should its request for cap relief be granted by the NRL.
The NRL allows clubs to spend up to $350,000 to replace a player who is ruled out for a minimum of 12 games due to an injury suffered in a representative fixture.
We’re looking into it,” Cameron told The Telegraph of the request for cap dispensation.
“But ultimately it is a decision for the NRL.”
The Roosters and Knights are still working on a possible swap deal to send Young to the Tricolours a year early, with Newcastle asking for either Nat or Egan Butcher.
Foxsports.com.au understands that request was flatly refused with both teams now discussing a potential transfer fee, although The Telegraph reports Roosters forward Siua Wong is another target for the Knights.
Knights director of football Peter Parr poured cold water on the prospects of Young leaving early while speaking on The Newcastle Herald’s ‘Toohey’s News’ podcast.
“I’ve just about ruled it out, but haven’t completely ruled it out,” he said.
“You never say never, but it would have to be something that is beneficial to us, and if that eventuated it could be a silver lining.
“The flipside of that is that we have planned for Dom to be in our team, planned for him to be on the right wing and it’s very difficult for us to change those plans so close to the season starting.
“I wouldn’t say that we have ruled it out completely, but nor would I say that it will happen.”
RADLEY SET TO EXTEND WITH ROOSTERS
Roosters enforcer Victor Radley is set send speculation about his future and sign a four-year extension at the Tricolours.
Channel 9 reporter Danny Weidler is reporting the development which comes the same week the Roosters are set to sign Knights winger Dom Young.
Radley came through the Roosters pathways and has played 99 games for the Tricolours since making his NRL debut in 2017.
The 24-year-old was considered a future Blues player before he made a stunning defection to England last year ahead of the World Cup.
Radley played four games in the tournament and was one of the best players for England whose campaign ended against Samoa in the semi-final.
However, the lock may still earn his NSW jersey with head office deliberating whether to change the eligibility rules.
Originally published as Big twist as powerhouse club linked with Newcastle flyer