Collingwood’s Jordan De Goey has recently re-signed with the club, turning his back on interest from St Kilda and Essendon.
The unrestricted free agent penned a five-year deal with the Pies, expiring at the end of 2027.
Collingwood GM Graham Wright said he is ecstatic that De Goey has continued his career at the AIA Centre, after being drafted with pick five back in 2014.
“We’re delighted Jordan has agreed to extend his contract to stay at Collingwood,” Wright said.
“Jordan is a talented footballer and his commitment to improve his game has seen him perform strongly this year, particularly during the back-end of the season and during the finals series where he was exciting to watch.
“We feel Jordan’s best football is in front of him and, as a Club, we will continue to support him as he grows as a player and as a person.”
Jordan De Goey has signed a five-year contract extension to remain a Magpie until at least the end of 2027 🔒
— Collingwood FC (@CollingwoodFC) September 30, 2022
De Goey’s re-signing is met with a sigh of relief from Collingwood fans, who feared the worst as the match winner considered a move away from the club.
The 26-year-old was reported to have initially rejected an offer from the Pies earlier this week, which included behavioural clauses that were deemed “too broad and arbitrary”, according to The Age’s Michael Gleeson.
De Goey rejects Collingwood contract offer over behavioural clauses https://t.co/AIu03tD8Q0
— Real Footy (AFL) (@agerealfooty) September 26, 2022
De Goey’s manager Paul Vague spoke to the behavioural request from the club but demanded his client be treated like everyone else, according to SEN.
“The biggest thing for Jordan (De Goey) and what we conveyed to the club is we weren’t going to have Jordan held to any standards above what is expected of any other player,” Vague said.
“We weren’t here to set a precedent moving forward that could expose players to more (clauses) and the club were very respectful to that.
“Jordan is still bound by the standards expected of an AFL player.”
The midfielder – who had a contract pulled mid-season – isn’t immune from off-field trouble, with the most recent display taking host in Bali and landing him in hot water.
De Goey was handed a $25,000 fine (suspended) as a result and took personal leave from the club, missing the round 15 clash with GWS.
However, once returning from leave and a minor quad issue in round 20, the Magpie gun was faultless in all his performances.
De Goey was crucial in games against Port Adelaide and Melbourne, earning him 15 coaches votes.
The 26-year-old also stood up in the finals, averaging 25 touches and 1.5 goals in the first two weeks, before being well held in the penultimate weekend.
Coach Craig McRae pleaded to De Goey’s management post-game after the heartbreaking preliminary loss to Sydney, saying to get the deal done.
“I grabbed his manager and said ‘let’s get to work on this’, because I’ve said this openly, I want Jordy at our footy club next year,” McRae said.
“Now I don’t know how that’s progressing, but hopefully it’s progressing in the right direction — not because he’s Jordy de Goey, but I just think this environment is the best place for Jordy de Goey.”