Boxing news 2022: Why George Kambosos Jr. has ‘no relationship’ with Tim Tszyu

Australian champion George Kambosos Jr. has confessed that he has “no relationship” with former training partner Tim Tszyu.

Lightweight boxing champion of the world George Kambosos Jr. has revealed he has “no relationship” with former training partner Tim Tszyu.

Kambosos and Tszyu has previously trained together at Rockdale’s Kostya Tszyu Boxing Academy under the guidance of Tim’s uncle, Igor Goloubev.

Watch one of the biggest boxing fights ever in Australia: George Kambosos Jr. vs Devin Haney, Sun 5 June with Main Event on Kayo Sports. No Kayo subscription needed to order. ORDER NOW >

Goloubev was in Kambosos’ corner for his entire amateur career and first 12 professional fights before quitting in 2017.

But according to The Sydney Morning Herald, Kambosos and his team feel that Australian promoters and broadcasters have been prioritising Tszyu because of his famous surname.

“There is no relationship there,” Kambosos told the Nine publication.

“I do my thing, they do theirs. I wish them all the best. I know Tim’s trying to become a world champion. I’m world champion now. I know what it takes to get to the top. If he were to call me right now, I’d put everything aside and say, ‘This is what I think’. If I can help, I will.

“Sometimes egos can get too big. I have so much going on, I don’t have time to worry about Tim’s fights. I stay focused on what I do best. If you think about these other distractions, that’s when you fall.”

Kambosos will defend his IBF, WBA and WBO belts against WBC champion Devin Haney at Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

However, drama erupted at Saturday’s weigh-in when the Aussie champion failed to make weight at the first attempt, even after stripping naked.

But disaster was avoided when he returned an hour and 15 minutes later and came in under the 135 pound (61kg) limit, meaning all four lightweight belts will be on the line.

“It’s the art of deception. Maybe I did it on purpose,” Kambosos said with a grin when asked why he initially missed weight.

“I did it on purpose. It changes his (Haney’s) mindset.”

Meanwhile, Tszyu will get his own chance at a world title later this year after the WBO ordered undisputed super-welterweight champion Jermell Charlo to be his next opponent.

“Obviously him (Charlo) being the undisputed champion, all the cards are in their favour,” No Limit Boxing chief executive George Rose told Fox Sports News earlier this week.

“Where we’re at at the moment is we’re pushing an Australian or US location. We’d love it in Australia, obviously they want the US location and if it is in the US we’d be pushing for LA or Las Vegas. I think the likely timing of it would be October-November.”

No Limit Boxing and TGB Promotions have until June 20 to set a date, documents on the WBO website confirmed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *